Founded in 1994, Tropic Journeys in Nature is an award–winning ecotourism company specializing in responsible, community-based tourism through high-quality operations and exceptional service in Ecuador. Guests visit the most spectacular natural areas of the country in the company of its native peoples, practicing the philosophy that one of the best ways of conserving an area - whether it be the Ecuador Amazon, the Galapagos Islands, the high Andes or a cloud forest – is to engage the participation of native, local people in creating the magic of an eco-vacation. Locals’ vested interest in travelers’ experiences assists the goal of preserving their culture and landscape. Programs combine life-changing, active-but-cultural ecotourism experiences focusing on nature, conservation, diversity and sustainability.
Ecuador Travel Programs
Tropic Journeys in Nature has focused on three major offerings in its award-winning programming:
Huaorani Ecolodge - An Amazon Rainforest Lodge at the headwaters of the Amazon in Yasuni National Park. The 5-cabin lodge is the result of an innovative partnership promoting a new form of ecologically friendly development sensitive to Huaorani traditions, a facility owned by the Huaorani and co-managed with Tropic. A tourism association was formed by the five communities involved in the project; community members were trained and plans made to produce and sell crafts. After consultations a site was chosen and a lodge planned and built; it opened in January 2008. The lodge is accessed by a 45 minute flight followed by a short trip in a dugout canoe. The Huaorani are among the most remote peoples of the world.
Floreana Lava Lodge – A private seaside accommodation in the Galapagos Islands. Floreana Island is the least populated island in the Galapagos. Here Floreana Lava Lodge offers 10 cabins overlooking the sea, three minutes away from where sea lions cavort in their natural environment.
Journeys in Nature – Guided, responsible nature and culturally-focused trips in Ecuador through Tropic’s tour division. In collaboration with other conservationists groups and local communities Tropic has developed a range of ecotourism programs from The Andes to the Amazon and from Galapagos to the Cloud Forest, all of which support the well-being of natural areas and the people who live in and around them. Tropic offers a small team of highly qualified and experienced ecotourism specialists with a commitment to providing a top quality personal service.
Responsible Tourism Philosophy
Tropic Journeys in Nature was created to demonstrate that environmentally sustainable and culturally sensitive tourism can be a viable business model. Tropic pioneered indigenous community tourism in the Amazon region with the Huaorani people and over many years has been a consistent supporter, partner and promoter of indigenous tourism initiatives with several indigenous communities and organizations including the Siecoya, Cofan, Siona, Achuar and Quichua.
The company also integrates tourism with ecological, economic, socio-cultural and political concerns with local community tourism initiatives in the Galapagos Islands, the Andean region and the Pacific coast region of Ecuador. The communities it works with receive proper economic benefit from the tourism operation and these and other benefits are pointed out to clients.
Making a Difference
While many of Ecuador's (and the world's) most valuable and beautiful regions are falling victim to insensitive "development" at the hands of the oil, timber and monoculture industries causing a tragic loss of biodiversity, now more than ever it is necessary to create viable economic alternatives which give value to this ecological and cultural richness. We believe one of the best ways of conserving an area – whether it be the tropical Amazon rainforest, the Andes highlands, or Cloud Forest, mangrove forests on the pacific coasts or the incredible uniqueness of the Galapagos Islands – is by taking people to these areas to experience their magic first hand. At Tropic, we don't see ecotourism as a catchword for enticing unsuspecting conservation–conscious clients, but as an ongoing project for sustainable development in one of the world's last remaining natural treasures, providing abundant possibilities for cultural interaction beneficial to both sides.
Since 1994 Tropic Journeys in Nature, founded in and still headquartered in Quito, has been a leader in the field of eco tourism, offering authentic, unique adventures for travelers seeking a more specialized, more active, more involved ecotourism experience. In the last decade the company has received more awards in Ecuador than any other company in the country.
- 1997 -- The company’s “Amazon Headwaters with the Huaorani” won its first international distinction – the To Do! Institute for Tourism and Development award for Socially Responsible Tourism.
- 2000 – Its Amazon Headwaters with the Huaorani program took first place at Ecotourism Showcase 2000, at the annual Non-Profits in Travel Conference.
- 2008 -- Huaorani Ecolodge earned its first award as the best sustainable tourism project of the year by the British Latin American Travel Association (LATA).
- 2009 -- Tropic won three awards: Highly Commended Operator for Cultural Engagement by The Virgin Holidays Responsible Travel; LATA recognized Huaorani Ecolodge once again as the Best Sustainable Tourism Project; and National Geographic singled out Tropic as one of the Best Adventure Travel Companies on Earth and the top ranked Ecuadorian Operator.
- 2010 – The company received Highly Commended Accommodation for Local Communities -The Virgin Holidays Responsible Travel Award; Travel + Leisure Magazine awarded its program with the Huaorani people a Trip of a Lifetime; LATA granted a third consecutive award as Best for Innovation in Latin America.
- 2013 – The company won first place at the Responsible Tourism Showcase at the Educational Travel Conference.
- Rainforest Alliance
- Long Run Initiative
- Adventure Travel Trade Association
- ASEC (Ecuadorian Ecotourism Association)
- Latin American Travel Association in the UK
- WAPONI, a specialized brand that brings together a number of Ecuadorian community tourism destinations under one umbrella.
Jascivan Carvalho, Owner/CEOAddress:
Tropic Journeys in Nature
Pasaje Sanches Melo OE1-37 y Av. Galo Plaza Lasso
Phone: +593-02-2408 741
Phone: 593. 2. 2814. 658 (EC)
Follow Tropic on Twitter: https://twitter.com/DestEcuador
Follow Tropic on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DestinationEcuador